Winter is a season where we can snuggle up in big jumpers, binge watch Christmas movies and put bets on to whether we’ll get a white Christmas. There’s something kind of magical to the beginning of winter but like any season there’s things I don’t like. Here’s my list of 5 things I love and hate about winter.
5 things I love about winter
- The run up to christmas – everything seems so much more magical with all the christmas decorations, fairy lights and the exciting feeling that hangs in the air.
- Cosy nights in – Whilst you feel like you always have to be out and about in the SUmmer, Winter is a lot more laid back and relaxed. It’s dark when you get in so it’s fine to sit back and watch Netflix for the next 6 months.
- Winter festivals and fairs – things like Winter Wonderland only pop up at Christmas and they give the perfect opportunity to start feeling festive and really get into the Christmas spirit. There’s nothing like ice skating amongst sparkling Christmas lights and happy chatter.
- Advent calendars – I don’t think I’ll ever get over the excitement you get when you open a new door of your advent calendar. It may seem childish but with all the beauty advent calendars out there now I don’t think I’ll ever stop buying them.
- All the parties – in the lead up to Christmas there’s so many parties where I can get glammed up and let my hair down. I love getting to dress up and show off my best lipstick.
5 things I hate about winter
- The bad weather – like most people I hate cold weather, especially snow. Driving in it can be a nightmare and the traffic it causes is absolutely ridiculous. Even a few leaves on the line can bring the country to a standstill. Till the UK learns to cope with winter weather it’ll always be on my hate list.
- The extra hours of darkness – it sucks waking up in the dark and coming home in the dark. By the time Christmas is over I’m wishing for Spring. It’s worse as a blogger as I get a limited amount of time to take pictures as there’s so little natural daylight.
- Cold hands – my hands get cold really quickly anyway but this is increased tenfold in Winter. That horrible rigid feeling you get in your fingers when they get too cold is just horrible.
- Cold steering wheels – oh these are the worst! As soon as the weather starts to get colder I have to start wearing gloves to avoid my hands getting too cold.
- Black ice – it’s worse than normal ice as obviously you can’t see it. I once drove down a country lane at around 2am, went to break at a junction and went shooting right across it almost hitting the other side of the kerb. Thankfully due to the time no one else was around and no one was hurt. I had only just started driving so wasn’t really aware that you shouldn’t break hard when there’s a risk of ice. Lucky escape.
What things do you love and hate about Winter? I’d love to hear what you think!