There are a few beauty laws we should all abide to and one of those age old rules was never pop a pimple. Who came up with that one and who has ever actually listened? For many there’s nothing that gives greater satisfaction than to see that nasty white head disappearing. Contrary to popular belief pimple popping is actually okay as long as you follow a few simple rules.
- Choose your spots carefully. You should only attempt to burst ‘ripe’ spots which have a white head on. If it’s an angry red bump step away you could end up scarring your skin.
- Wash your face and fingers, and wipe your spot with alcohol. It may sting a little but this is the best way to cleanse the area
- Puncture the spot by passing a sterile needle through the very top. If the pus doesn’t come out easily then it wasn’t ready to be popped. Whatever you do don’t keep pressing on it!
- Carefully apply pressure to the side of the spot, ensuring you never push down on the pimple as this could cause it to collapse inwards leaving your skin inflamed.
- Wipe the area again with alcohol then apply a benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid based treatment like Dr Nick Lowe Spot gel.
- Finally leave the area alone! Don’t apply makeup over the spot as it needs time to heal.